Tuesday, June 30, 2009

The Indomitable Spirit of Ironman

The images of ABC’s Wide World of Sports resonate in my mind vividly. It is the image of athletes running the marathon till late night; a Japanese triathlete was ecstatic when he crossed the finishing-line at crawl-pace. I was touched, impressed and shocked; I thought that it was mad to even attempt such a race.

Circa June 2009, I am packing for my trip to Ironman Austria. It will be my eighth Ironman, and it has taking me about five summers to prepare. I have also actively reflected on my decisions to race in this grueling, and some say, extreme sport (again). Isn’t once enough?

What is the intent of doing the Ironman triathlon? As I shared with my friend, Walter Strach III, ‘I was influenced by idiots!’ Besides this fact, I have been inspired and motivated by many triathletes who came and completed before I even began this sport. To paraphrase Sir Isaac Newton, “I am riding on the shoulders of giants!’

We have our reasons for doing such endurance sports. It may be a decision based on cognition and intuitiveness. Whatever these are, it will be a fairly long day for all participants to complete 226km. The longer a triathlete takes to complete, the more his/her body is exposed to the external elements and internal damage.

Having stated all the misery that one can only imagine subjecting one’s body to, I am personally impressed by those who train! My dilemma is: I hate training, but I enjoy racing. It can be a colossal task to awake on weekends (before dawn), and on days where the weather is unforgiving to swim, ride or run. It reflects on the many qualities and values of leaders. There is method behind the madness. Triathlon may be an individualistic sport, yet we rely on others to spur us on. We also train as part of a team, and we do take turns leading and encouraging each other on.

Whatever time it takes to cross the line, the participant deserves his moment of his achievement. This is something that you remember for the rest of your life. Pain is a partner that we travel alone with. So is regret, for not finishing when you can.

‘Swim 3.8km, ride 180km, run 42km – brag for life!’ I like the sound of these original words uttered by John Collins.

No comments: