Sunday, May 2, 2010

Who Do We Bestow Superlatives & Titles?

Society and industries present and confers titles to individuals and raise them to a higher ground. Living up to them can be a tall order; you may have to live and breathe it like a true artist. It has been said that ‘Artists suffer for their art; otherwise, there is no art’.

Extant, phenom, expert, guru, maverick, genius and protégé are such dazzling titles worthy of resume distinction. Others are conferred as a result of academic recognition such as Professor, Doctor, and Dean.

Perhaps, we can attribute this to Personal Branding 2.0, re-branding, re-inventing, smart marketing, or trend setting yet we cannot be blind to its application. Beauty and hair salons are now renamed as clinics, laboratories and spas. How do we discern one from the other?

This morning, I became part of an interview on Channel U – a Chinese channel in Singapore. Somehow or rather, I became a feature on this new series that featured professionals with unusual hobbies. Leader, Joyce of 700-strong, local cycling group Joyriders will be featured on the first episode. My friend – teacher Shade Soo – and I will be on episode 2, alongside a feature on flamenco dancing I believe. Shade and I was interviewed and we demonstrated our love for close-up magic. I was interviewed in Mandarin and I experienced my share of linguistic of faux pas. Put me in China, and I am fluent in my delivery yet in front of a camera, I am a bundle of malapropisms and emotional punctuations.

Here is a scene of card-extant Shade (man-in-black) shooting his segment on card magic expertise. He is, undisputedly, one of the best if not the best when it comes to cheating demonstrations at the card table; he also performs awesome magic. Looking on, is Gordon (bottom right), who is assisting with his valuable feedback.












Next week, we will enjoy a feature of excellent people and leaders.

We congratulate TriFam finishers of Ironman St. George, Utah (1 May):
  • Clifford Lee
  • Nigel Chua
  • Walter Strach

It was a cold, long, hilly, and windy day – what more would an Ironman triathlete want?

No comments: