Friday, May 28, 2010

Utilising Data Scientifically for Performance

I ran in a 25km race last Saturday. Since then, I was waiting for the results to appear, and for days it proved futile until I searched for the measuring authority and got successful. My Runpix results were such:

My overall was 107 out of 2487 runners (in the 25km category).
I was 8th in my age group.
I was 87th in the Men’s category.
I completed in 2 hours 8 minutes and 37 seconds.
As such, I placed in the top-4 percent.
I ran at a pace of 11.7kph.

This set of recent data gives me adequate information to plan for my run on Saturday. Although I was training near my race-pace of about 6 minutes/km, I raced much faster and held the pace although my legs were sore for three days. My menu leading to tomorrow’s evening’s marathon includes generous amounts of sleep and rest, stretching, and watching DVDs of triathlons and marathons. I am focused on staying calm and centred, and having my eye on my goal: to complete my first ultra-marathon safely, without injury, and in a time of about 10 hours. We start running at 6pm, and I hope to complete around 4pm, when the single marathoners will be coming in. Last year, I managed to do a 3:58 marathon over a hilly route. With this year’s flat route, I hope to keep to a pace that is manageable and kinder to my feet and knees.

In essence, I will race as I have trained. Nothing new on race day! I will execute my nutritional plan in a scientific manner (with special needs bag). I will race in my regular running attire (tri-suit), same new shoes (with a spare pair that I am familiar with), shades (no caps as it is too humid), extra pair of socks, and a 6-6.5 minute/kilometre pace. I have included a compulsory brief rest break after my first 42km, to change my socks, and fuel up with solid food.

When I started running seriously about 6 years ago, I placed in the upper 30 percent. Today, I am consistently in the top-five percent and I am thankful for my progress. In the past six months, I completed two ultra-marathons and one Ironman triathlon. This is part of my bigger plan to qualify for the century-old Boston Marathon next year, and to also achieve a few PBs in the Ironman triathlons I have signed up for.

No comments: