Wednesday, May 12, 2010

Learn Something New Today?


What have you learnt today?

While I was at custom bike fitters, Elite Bicycles today I leant about GPS monitors for bikes and runners. A salesperson presented such a new device to us, which was a fraction of the popular brands. He described its features and its capabilities. I learnt from a loyal Garmin user on what to look out for were I to purchase such a unit.

I learnt to ask the useful questions if I were to purchase a satellite-assisted instrument. These questions included:

1)    Warranty period
2)    Water-resistance/splash-proof/waterproof ability
3)    Mounting features and ability to stay put on bumpy conditions
4)    Time to detect satellites/readiness for use
5)    Battery life/charging time
6)    Software and hardware compatibility
7)    Relevance of features like cadence, speed, heart-rate, and plotting routes

This morning, over an audio-conference, I learnt which issues my students faced as managers. I will attend to these concerns and challenges this weekend when I travel overseas for yet another leadership workshop. I also learnt that there are policy matters that when executed can lead to staff concluding a sense of unfairness.

The past few weeks, I reviewed my nutritional plan for my upcoming ultra-marathon. I learnt how much I needed to fuel my body in order for it to function at its endurance best.

The day is not over…what have you learnt today?

‘Learning is an L-plate for earning.’ ~ Enrico Varella

No comments: