Saturday, May 22, 2010

A Small Run Before The Big One

This afternoon, I will run in a 25km race. I am using it as a tune-up for the Sundown Ultramarathon - only 600 runners will race next Saturday, beginning 6.00pm. Thousands others will do the 10km, 21km and 42km races.
Yesterday evening, I collected two race-kits: one for the 25km run, and the other for the double-marathon. The queue was, predictably, long however took about 30 minutes. There was enough to look at - including the retail shops in the Raffles City Mall. The race-kits were meagre, containing the participant's race-bib, race-sensor, and the participant tee-shirt. I am looking forward to the finisher's tees and medals.
The 25km race will be my final tune-up to my longest run. This week is part of my tapering week, so more short runs with intensity. I cannot afford to fatigue my legs unduly. My nutrition plan would be my highlight of my preparation, and I am focused on sustaining my energies and interest. It will be very mental and I will draw upon my patience, determination, persistence and commitment to completing the task. I will also be aware of my fellow runners, and hope to draw upon their enthusiasm and tenacity to enable me more during the marathon.
Most of all, I hope that the humidity may not be too fierce to challenge us unduly on the pancake-flat course. All the best to those running today and next Saturday.

1 comment:

Teo Hui Koon said...

All the best for the ultra, my friend!