Sunday, May 30, 2010

Extreme Measures

I finally did it! I completed my first 84km ultramarathon. Previously, I completed two 52.5km races as part of the MR25 year-end race.

I did 9:30:35 in my foray into the domain of ultramarathons. In summary, it was harder in the second marathon; my body seemed spent, and my stomach was acting up. I had gastrointestinal issues at the 60km mark, and I had to expel the contents in my stomach. Ironman NZ, David Chambers kept me company for a few kilometres before that; he did 11:30 in March. We also both raised about $2,000 each for the Cystic Fibrosis for Kids fund of New Zealand.

My first marathon was done in 4:12 with 8 minutes transition to change my socks and refuel. I placed 123 in my category of 187 people. That keeps my ranking intact as top-10 percent in the local races. I missed the Men’s Masters category podium by 3 places, so that’s one for the drawing board should I consider doing such a challenge next year.

Why did I do this race then? I wanted to test myself, and determine how strong I am mentally. It is so easy to lose your head when you are fatigued and stressed. The conversations in your head are the one that either advances your cause, or holds you back. My friend Ian said that he called out my name because by recognizing somebody during the marathon, he stayed focused on completing it.

The supporters were awesome and they encouraged us on. You need these external inputs to sustain your efforts and performance. Eastern Night Rider buddies Edward Kor and his family snapped pictures of when I was on my second leg; Danny Wan and his wife waved to me when they were driving out. Emcee (and international Ironman voice) Whit Raymond did a splendid job again for ushering runners in and creating a festive mood. Thanks, Whit for the introduction as I brought it home to the finish.

That was thirteen hours ago. So much happened during the long and arduous run that all I could observe goes into my memories. What would life be like without experiences and memories? My Facebook responses to my run have been positive, encouraging, and assuring. Some of them believe that I will take on another such physical challenge once I heal completely. Their prediction is one week from now I will resume my decision to run a long distance race again. Never say never!
Photo credit: Kueh Hock Chye









Photo-credit: Nigel Chua

No comments: