Thursday, May 13, 2010

Leadership By Film

My triathlon buddy, Tan Eng Boon shared this with me after we were both inspired by the film, Invictus: ‘It is better to lead from behind and to put others in front, especially when you celebrate victory when nice things occur. You take the front line when there is danger. Then people will appreciate your leadership.’ ~ Nelson Mandela

I like this quotation, as this is precisely what I have been encouraging many leaders to consider. Look at leadership as positions of influence; in fact, apply prepositions, or pre-positions. In my book, Leadership Lessons from Triathlons I proposed leading with prepositions. Prepositions include: around, behind, in front, behind, above, under, in-between, and beside. These are potential positions to lead, as it puts your place with reference to others. Near or far, it is your relative position with others that shows your support for your team.

President Mandela, who spent 27 years in jail, also describes his preference for recognition of others. He places others before him, during celebration. Watch Invictus for the fine acting, especially by Morgan Freeman. Matt Damon puts up a credible performance. He shared with Ben Afleck his first Oscar for his screenplay Good Will Hunting, where he played the mathematical genius.

As I will be on a business trip, I may not be able to post on this blog for a few days, nor tweet nor go on Facebook. It may give you a sense where I’ll be. I will chalk up my posts over the next few days, and you stay put till I return on Monday. Meanwhile, keep well and take care.

No comments: