Saturday, May 29, 2010

Larger Decisions From Large Ones Grow

I have been reading Dean Karnazes’s book 50 Marathons in 50 Days in 50 States, and it contains his journal of all his daily races, plus lessons he learnt during the mega-challenge in 2006. I assure you that you will discover the many mistakes that this seasoned ultra-marathon guru and champion has made. Yet, we may benefit form his vignettes of wisdom (of hindsight).

Each challenge that we take on, builds a premise and promise for a future one. You start by running short distances, building up to a 10km run; this may progress to a 21km run, and then a marathon. Then, if choice and opportunity meet, aligned like planets in our solar system (your choice of dramatics, and powers of exaggeration), you may perhaps take on the ultra-marathon challenge or an Ironman triathlon. By which time, you have a shoe-box filled with finisher medals and a drawer of finisher tee-shirts to seriously dwell on (and wonder how you would recycle them).

My personal leadership choices for tonight will tie in, intimately, with my strategies for success. I want to complete the full distance, injury-free, comfortably, and I will. That is my mental program with personal algorithms leading to crossing the finish line. I will decide, along the route, when is a yes and when is a no. My priorities of actions will be:

1)    Pace at 6 minute/kilometre or slower.
2)    Be generous about refueling my body (300-400 calories an hour of Power-Bars, Power-Gels, Sponser gels, water, and electrolytes).
3)    Take bathroom breaks, if I have to.
4)    Change my socks/shoes after the first loop.
5)    Stretch and self-massage, when necessary.
6)    Be aware of discomfort on body, and attend to it.

I am excited for the participants and myself (mainly runners of AniMiles, SGRunners and Triathlon Family). Having done the midnight marathon last year (my first nocturnal marathon was in Bangkok in 2007 where I earned my first sub-4 hour PB) in this marquee event and earning a sub-4 hour finishing time over rolling terrain, I am looking forward to almost flat route. I will post on my lessons learnt tomorrow. Have a great evening.

Thank you, in advance, to friends and supporters who will brave the stench of an oil spill (along the beach route we will run) to provide us with moral aid and nutrition! I am anticipating the welcome respite of cold Milo at the 28km mark.


When: 6.00pm, Singapore, 29 May 2010
Where: Changi Exhibition Centre/East Coast Parkway
What: adidas Sundown 84km Ultra-marathon
Who: 600 participants (only)
Why: Various personal reasons and challenges
How: Running (with head, heart and heels)

No comments: