Wednesday, May 19, 2010

Leading With Your Reading

I love reading, except I don’t make enough time for it. I realize that this is an excuse, yet that is the reality for me when I am immersed in projects. Travelling offers me a chance to accelerate my reading pace, and cover a wider landscape of learning and imagination.

Reading can help enhance our imagination, a fiendishly deceptive thing that appears to disappear when we grow older. Einstein did state that imagination was as important as knowledge, and perhaps even more. So, keep making those pictures and sounds in the privacy of your head. My current list includes:

Smoke & Blue In the Face by Paul Auster (first edition)

The Unauthorised Guide To Doing Business the Jamie Oliver Way: 10 Secrets of the Irrepressible One-Man Brand by Trevor Clawson

Linchpin by Seth Godin

Leaders of their own lives read, and learn by applying their knowledge. That’s how they become learned. Words are our medium of communication: speak, write and read. Words matter. In business, it is our word that binds an agreement. Be consistent and stick to your words. Make your words come alive when you use them. Word your thoughts carefully when you intend to communicate your message well. Never be limited by your vocabulary. Speak your mind. Mind your words.

When was the last time you read a book? Attempt to complete one, or re-read it. Make the discipline to do that, and enjoy it.

No comments: