Wednesday, September 14, 2011

Journey To Personal Excellence

My students have asked me – other than as an educator – how and why I have several other roles. My reasons include being curious to learn, discovering my aptitude and attitude for a new field, and wanting to excel in more than one field of expertise. Being excellent in a field of interest can raise your confidence, self-esteem and direct you towards being a better person. When you raise your bar of performance, you begin to attain a higher level of competency. The results can be positively repercussive, toppling upwards to a staircase of more possibilities, abilities and motivations. 
I enjoy practising sleight of hand magic, due to my curiosity about the four-century-old craft of deception-as-entertainment. Once I passed the initial stage of learning about the secrets of magic, I was intrigued with the thinking process behind the tricks. I became fascinated by the cleverness and creativity behind some of the illusions. In the last 20 years of this private and public hobby, I have met many amazing magicians, illusion-designers, magical authors and thinkers. I had the privilege to be friends with magical consultants (for David Copperfield and David Blaine) – all very nice people with a common, fiendish mind to astonish and amaze audiences. I also had the privilege to hold leadership positions in my magic club, and appear on television to share my magic performances.
Desmond Peh, Entrepreneur of the Year, 2010 who excels in magic, mathematics, and managing his chain of tuition agencies
With triathlons and marathons, I learnt to pursue excellence in another way. You can progress in your fitness in many dimensions. You can become faster and stronger with consistent training, the occasional racing, and strengthening of your core muscles. I also met many inspiring athletes who encouraged and helped me step up on my game, so that I may realize my dream of being the best runner and long-course triathlete I can be. Earning elite qualifying times, and participating in world championships has help me orientate my goals, aspirations and dreams.

Leadership Lessons: How do you attain personal excellence? When have you exceeded your interests and develop those into something you can take great pride in? Create a sense of purpose, and aim to change, develop and grow. It is better to be great at a few things, than be mediocre in many.


Running Photo-credit: Le Giang

No comments: