Saturday, August 27, 2011

My Open-Water Swimming Sessions Resume

This morning, I met up with our regular lagoon swimmers. It has been a while since I swam with them, as I had been working on Saturday mornings. Now that that gig is over, I can now resume my swimming development. Other than the occasional diversion from floating debris, sea-parasites and one jellyfish I had a taste of the sea and being at the end of the obviously well-trained swim-pack. I was glad for sticking to the 4-lap menu, and I was aware of my lack of aquatic fitness. However, I was pleased to swim only in my swimming tights, my cap, goggles and my imagination (which was rampant and abundant, at times). I look forward to Monday’s pool swim with the squad as my strokes are more steady and I am more buoyant. I need to focus on building reliable speed and endurance to prepare for Ironman New Zealand 2012.

At the Marina 21K Run held in July, the emcee Ross conducted an impromptu interview with a Kenyan participant, and asked him his time for his fastest half-marathon. The candid reply was ‘1 hour 2 minutes!’ Hailed as one of the best distance-running nations, Kenya has continued to produce world-class champions. Have you ever wonder what it is like being a professional distance runner? How would a Kenyan runner train? It is not necessarily a bed or roses! I enjoyed this read, and it led to some shifts of my mindsets about these amazing athletes. What do you think?

Today, I went to the polls to elect our new national President from a choice of four candidates. Each of them possessed leadership qualities, and expressed their values clearly. It will be a close call come results time. For each voter, it is our personal show of leadership: to demonstrate our decisiveness, diligence and discernment.

Leadership Lessons: Make a choice. Weigh the advantages and disadvantages of each choice. Make an informed choice, rather than an infirmed and random one. Decide and stand by it. Live and learn.

1 comment:

maddy said...

Thank you very much for sharing this with me!

Call center Cv