Sunday, August 28, 2011

Adidas King of The Road (KOTR) Race, Singapore

This morning, I almost missed the inaugural KOTR race since I could not get a cab to my destination. I, eventually, walked home and called a cab and arrived at the Padang about 6.45am, with about 15 minutes to warm up. I found a spot in the second wave, barricaded behind a resilient-looking chain, and a stern-looking technical official. I jogged on the spot and waited for the first wave to be flagged off. 10 minutes later, my wave was released from its tensed pen.
I ran alongside Izzu who was fasting (and certainly not drinking water) during this Ramadan season. He kept up a good pace (we averaged 4:04-4:15 for the first few kilometres) until he dropped me (unintentionally) when I spent too much time at the aid-stations. I have learnt to drink at each aid-station for my sweat-rate is usually high, or pay a high price in muscular fatigue for it. So, I was on my own aiming to overtake as many runners of the first wave. I assure you that I felt fairly uncomfortable for the remainder of the race, in wanting to secure a good time-trial time. Thankfully, a few shouts of encouragement by friends like Charles and KK Chin helped spur me on. Cheers, mates!
Fortunately, I scored a PB at the 10K and 16.8K marks! I averaged about a sub-4:30/K, which meant I may be able to do a 1:36-1:38 next week at the Army Half-Marathon. I am optimistic that with a structured training week ahead I may be able to stay fit to enjoy that goal. On 11 September, I will race in the inaugural long-distance triathlon, Mega-Tri. My Long-Course route will comprise a 2K swim, 102 ride, and 27K run. I hope I have enough reserves to complete it in decent time.
I enjoyed meeting up with several friends including Reeves Lim, Ed Kor, SK Lim, David Tay, David Tan, Danny, Richard Leong, Nicholas, Baoying (who also was top-three in the Women's Local category) and running couple Li Zi and Rachel Poon. Poon’s wife won second place in the Local Open Category (Women) – an amazing athlete considering that she trains on minimal mileage. Elite amateur athlete, Anne Date was champion for Local Women's category.

My preliminary results for today: Rank 175, Timing 1:15:42, 6K (26:24), 9.4K (42.02), 13K (58:28). My Garmin data showed me consume more time at my 11K pee-stop/refueling station, which consumed more than a minute. I am not too fussed about my downtime, as I may earn this back next week with some proper time management. Note to self: hitch a ride or dial a cab, have a pee before the race, and park myself with the fast pack near the front.

Ironman Canada 2011 is on now. All the best Team Singapore!


Photo-credits: David Tan, a member of Triathlon Family

No comments: