Friday, March 25, 2011

The Perception Principle Powers Positivism

Once upon a time, a potential client informed me: ‘Although you are, probably, the most suitable for this job, our senior management would prefer somebody older.’

I was denied the opportunity because of my youth. A few days ago on Facebook, my friend remarked about my abundance of grey hair when he saw a few of my racing shots. It seems, that years after that incident, that my Richard Gere head-of-karmic-returns has received more positive feedback. In turn, I have been accepted for the physical imperfection I possess. Perception is a form of reality. And, reality is both within and without.

If the silver population reflects wisdom, and we value it in our communities, then we should continue to hire skillful and capable staff. If tacit wisdom and experience matter, then we can farm it, and grow its potential. On the other hand, youth and youthfulness is not to be dismissed. We can be energised and rejuvenated by new and radical ideas.

Watching my older friends excel in their choice of sports and pastime makes me pleased. It motivates me, and I am stoked by it. I enjoy watching their progress. It is, as if, aging is regressed. They do get better with age. In sports, there will be days where we succeed in besting our times, and there are others where we miss the mark. As Bill Bowerman of Oregon/NIKE used to say: ‘The real purpose of running isn’t about winning a race. It is to test the limits of the human heart.’

Congratulations to all the age groupers for last weekend’s race – and to those who qualified for the Ironman 70.3 World Championships in Las Vegas in September. I will be off for an overseas teaching assignment today, and I hope to update you on a daily basis. This will be my 19th country in my resume of overseas work, and I am looking forward to my work, and even a few short running sessions there.

No comments: