Friday, December 11, 2009

Playing Catch Up

Yesterday, I had lunch with Khairil my classmate from junior college. We linked up in recent years through running races including the marathon. We chatted about our experiences with the recent marathon, as well as our impressions and experiences as leaders in management.

Today, I had the pleasure to catch up with my friend Douglas O’Loughlin. He was my lecturer at the Singapore Institute of Management (SIM) when I was studying for my diplomas in Training Development and Training Management. Dougie has been a corporate trainer and Organisational Development consultant for the last two decades. Whilst undergoing his doctoral studies, he has just completed his first book ‘Facilitating Transformations’. I will review this book next week. I enjoyed catching up on his life, passions and achievements.

Earlier this morning, I met my colleague Stephen Krempl and learnt about his ingenious approach to more effective platform learning. His patent-pending, Tri-Zenter methodology of using multiple screens for teaching and speaking, works strongly on the visual modality. Our cerebral cortex (of our brain) is highly influenced by images and imagery, so when you integrate PowerPoint slides across two or more screens it makes an indelible impression on our eyes and mind. I learnt that I have under-utilised and not optimized on my use of digital technology.

It was great catching up with old friends, mentors and influences. To reiterate a previous post, networking is an active process that requires that we lead productive conversations. If we want to keep our friendships alive, keep it intact with regular 'touch points' through Social Media 2.0.

I have the pleasure of making new connections with Dr Ben Tan and Dr Kua Harn Wei. Dr Ben Tan was second this year in the veteran’s section at the Standard Chartered Singapore Marathon 2009. He was third last year with a sub-3 hour performance. Our interview with Dr Tan, which was syndicated on Red Sports Singapore has received over-1,000 views. Thank you, Leslie Tan for his generosity to host our interview there. Do get his book, ‘Run For Your Life’ if you wish to appreciate the sport of marathon running and train for one. I will be following the guidance from the book faithfully in my quest for a faster marathon time next year.

Dr Kua is a world-class and internationally ranked Deca-Ironman triathlete will be our next featured interviewee. Read how this theoretical physicist blends ultra-endurance races with a scientific approach in a zen-like manner. I am excited to present his interview to you over the next few days.

Please continue to write us with your feedback, comments, requests and recommendations. We do appreciate your time with us.

Photo-credit: Daphne Wee











No comments: