Tuesday, December 29, 2009

Creating A Case for Choices

I chose to run the ultra-marathon on Sunday. Now, I am sore and hobble somewhat with sore feet and legs. This is the consequence of my strange choice to complete a 52.5km foot-race. On looking back, I am glad I did it as I chalk another long-distance race to my list of physical accomplishments.

I had an interesting conversation with a businessperson after dinner on Christmas Day. It was about choices.

The businessperson I spoke to argued that, because of his relative lack of education, he had no choice. I countered his argument by reasoning that we have choices, except that sometimes we are limited by our range of choices. Choices are a pathway of the Western world, whereas Asians prefer the notions of destiny, karma, fate and luck. I suggested that we consider these notions later in our life, and focus on choices now.

He mentioned flexibility, yet I felt that he used this term without fully appreciating it. Flexibility is about having more choices, not less. Anita Roddick once said: 'Three choices are a good beginning.' The more choices we create, the more decisive we can be. In my experience, when people say no choice, it means that they do not like the choices they have, or the decisions they make.

So, what do we do? List down your choices when you have to make decisions. Use these choices to determine your range of movement, and possibilities. Most of the time, we have at least two choices - this is the digital world. Yes or no. Do, or not do. Take it, or leave it. We have choices; perhaps, we may not enjoy these choices as we are limited by them.

List down your abilities, experience, skills, capabilities, and relationships. Determine how more capable you can be with these options and choices. What can you do with each of your competencies? Lead with possibility and openness. Keep creating more choices for yourself, and others. There is always another point of view, or point of entry.

No comments: