Tuesday, December 22, 2009

Fierce Invalids From Warm Climates










The title of this blog post comes from the 2001 book by Tom Robbins, who writes in a unique style of narrative and prose. The first few pages may through you off, yet you regain your balance and then makes a lot of sense and sensibility.

The moment I stepped out of the plane, and walked on the tarmac of Terminal 3, I was overwhelmed by the familiar humidity that enveloped me like a pouncing shadow. It squeezed the only words I could muster under such shocking circumstances: ‘Darn - It’s hot and humid!’ Okay, I did not exactly use ‘darn’ but in the interest of ‘Smallville’, we sanitise this narrative.

Having spent several days previously, overseas, in cooler climates I had adapted to the cold of early winter. I altered my dietary habits to accommodate to higher-fat meals. In the past, I used to be averse to fatty foods, as I wanted a leaner body. Today, I can still attain that look with my high-mileage triathlon and marathon training. So, I had less qualms succumbing to social norms and habits; eating being one major social activity of relevance.

It was nice to wear warm clothing, and my dusty but trusty leather jacket (bought about seven seasons ago in a thrift-shop in Las Vegas) had its days in the sun again. I felt confident with this mildly over-sized skin, as it made me look larger than life. However, the cold air humbled me at times with its icy cold scratch. You learn to adjust, adapt, adopt and be adept in what you do and experience.

It is good to be home again. Travel makes you appreciate the things you take for granted. [I am munching on a slice of apple pie from Han’s and a cup of freeze-dried instant coffee. Later, I will have a strong cup of local espresso at the coffee shop.]

No comments: