Tuesday, October 20, 2009

The Horse Whisperer

My bike had a flat today. Not a big bang, just a subtle hiss throughout the 20km premature ride. A hapless Ironman staring at his flaccid immobilized iron horse. After removing my punctured tyre, I realized I did not have the correct tools to revive my tyre, temporarily. It took me a while, before a kind, taxi-driver helped me load my injured bike into the boot. As truth be told, Mr Zainal was a mountain-biker, who owned three bikes. He could relate to my plight of being overlooked by previous cabs.

The iron horse, or bicycle, is modern day’s reply to the concrete warrior: From horseback to bicycle seat. Horse riding, or equestrian is an Olympic sport. There is also a series of equestrian sports dubbed the Equine Olympics 2009.

Is horse riding dangerous? The late-Christopher Reeve (of the Superman series of films) was paralysed from his neck down after a riding tragedy. Accidents do happen, as nature is fraught with surprises and the majestic animal can be easily startled. The horse is a very sensitive and intelligent animal.

Robert Redford acted in the film ‘The Horse Whisperer (1998)’ by author, Nick Evans. A horse whisperer is a horse trainer who adopts a sympathetic view of the motives, needs, and desires of the horse, based on natural horsemanship and modern equine psychology. The modern method of ‘joining up’ with an untamed horse is based on contracting with the animal with kindness and compassion.

Check out this blog: Lessons Secrets Whispered by Horses. Author, Jay Koch offers an e-book of his discoveries while riding with his horses. Enjoy!

2 comments:

Matty Wong said...

Time to invest in a proper tool set, Mr Zainal may not be there again esp when you are alone in Desaru roads.

Learn a new skill. Tire changing....

Enrico Varella said...

Matt. I did attempt to change my tyre, except after detaching the glued tyre, I did not have the alan-key for removing my valve-extender. Thus, I could not replace it with my spare. So, I was left with the choice of taking public transport. Point noted: I will my basic toolkit with me next time.