Saturday, October 3, 2009

Fears or Fierce?

Our fears make us alert. It is part of our instinct to fear the unknown, or over that which we have experienced as unpleasant. Think of a martinet of a manager, an emotionally unstable colleague, or moments before your performance appraisal interview. You get the picture…

It is natural to fear the physical laws when these work to our disadvantage. Gravity for one becomes more pronounced at the crest of a rollercoaster, or cycling up a steep hill. Some people have exaggerated perceptions of fear – these are termed phobias. Aqua-phobia, of fear of water is a crippling one, as it has prevented many potential triathletes to stay as biathletes (ride and run).

This morning, I swam alone in the Sentosa lagoon before my swim squad turned up. Therefore, I swam two lengths of the man-made salt-water pool, and it was quite an experience. I normally swim with a group, however I was early this morning so I swam by myself (as recommended by my swim-buddy, Matthew). I was somewhat anxious as I concerned over my personal safety, the presence of jellyfish and sea-parasites, and aggressive sea-creatures. Hey, since I watched Jaws I have been afraid to get back into the water alone.

Although we cannot predict our future with accuracy (and fractals have verified that, mathematically), we can foresee the consequences of our stupidity. What I did was refocus my fear into useful energies: I focused on my swim technique, breathing on both sides, my buoyancy, kicking and sighting. Like juggling, once you focus on the correct things you will earn the results you seek. With this system check, I became more confident as I stroked across my watery medium with more ease and elegance.

Matthew pointed out to me that I had swum alone before; when we swim, we are, effectively, swimming alone without any assistance. The swimming pack fragments itself naturally, and at many junctures we are indeed by ourselves.

Leadership Lessons: Fears can be re-channeled into a heightened sense of awareness of your surroundings. Our fears can dissuade any attempts of the unsafe and stupid. Refocus your fears into more useful energy. Recall that you might have done the task that your fear stops from doing. Feel assured that our fears are not meant to hold us back, all the time.

3 comments:

Lim Leong, Reeves said...

This is a fantastic post Enrico.

You immediately remind me of Love Leadership written by John Hope Bryant. In its essence to change the world using love based leadership rather than fears. He has personally attended the Social Innovation Forum to talk about this. Let me get you a copy of this book and hope you can share the insights to empower future leaders.

Reeves

Enrico Varella said...

Thank you for yours, Reeves. I look forward to reading the book.

Meanwhile, readers can access a posting at LEADERSHIP NOW about this book:

http://www.leadershipnow.com/leadingblog/2009/09/the_application_of_love_leader.html

Matty Wong said...

Congrats on facing your fears. If you break things down into simpler form, alot of things are actually alot less complicated than we think.

Fears can be very powerful when used correctly. You are very right about channelling the power of fear into detail preparation, contingencies allocation, overloading to ensure success.