Friday, September 25, 2009

Reflections

‘The changing of sunlight to moonlight. Reflections of my life.’ ~ Marmalade

Reflection is about looking back at what has happened, and assessing what went well, and what did not. It is an internal, mental process where memory meets comparisons and personal judgement.

Matthew Wong wrote, two days ago, a sensitive piece (Little Things Count) about his life and soul mate, and his fondness for challenging sports. I urge you to read it for it is an insightful and reflective piece.

It is like what Charles Dickens wrote in A Tale of Two Cities: ‘It was the best of times, it was the worst of times, it was a time of wisdom, it was a time of foolishness…’

Learning from experience is about not making the same mistakes, and taking more risk the next time. It is about knowing what else to do should a similar situation arise. When we reflect, it is analogous to looking into our inner pool of experiences, memories, opinions, beliefs, relationships, and feelings. Trouble is, sometimes the learning takes a while to sink in.

When I reflect upon my endurance sports journey, I consider the following facts:

1) I started participating in biathlons, triathlons and marathons in 2004

2) It has been a long and arduous journey

3) It is so easy to get injured if we get careless with technique and use faulty equipment

4) Technique is a primary aspect of enhanced performance

5) Improvements are a form of personal fulfillment

6) Each finish in a race prepares me for a harder one in the future

7) I did not achieve my successes alone, but with a team of close supporters

8) My coach has been instrumental in my progress and sustaining my continued interest

9) I have yet to realize my physical and mental limits

10) Celebration is best shared with your loved ones

No comments: