Thursday, July 16, 2009

The Path to Parenting (Part 2)

JL: Still, I am very thankful that my mum is living with us, and I still get to socialize a little. Or else, I will go crazy listening to crying and screaming baby, and as I have countless sleepless nights when my son woke up in the middle of the night, crying for attention. It is really no joking matter.

I really have to salute my mum. She did not have the luxury of a helper when I was my son's age, and she still managed to take care of me and my sister, without complains. How did she do it? I really wonder. This also gave me an opportunity to chat with my mother on a daily basis, and appreciate her more. This is something which I have not done since I started work.

EV: Being a Mr Mom (stay-at-home Dad) for a few months, what was that like? [I presumed you did that for a short while?]

ET: It is good as this is the important part of their lives. Once we miss it, it is gone forever.

JL: It is not all about tough and tiring work. When I first saw my little Daryl smiling at me, and called me "Daddy!" I thought that this was the SWEETEST sound in the world that I have ever heard. My mind went blank for a while, and I felt emotional. This is one of the most magical moments, which I will remember for the rest of my life. It is beyond words and description, but I think these feelings are understood by most parents.

EV: How has being a parent enhanced your leadership ability?

ET: I am not sure… as you will have to discover their potential, develop them, motivate them, coach them, communicate to them, get them to do things that they dislike, etc. skills that you use as a leader except that I think it is harder since it is for life.

JL: Daryl loves to smile and laugh: This has brought us a lot of sunshine to the family that money cannot buy. He also loves to smile and wave at strangers, and because of that, I get to know more neighbors. He manages to force strangers to talk to us, or wave back, using his charm and cheeky ways. Now, I love this neighborhood even more as I get to know more neighbors; some of who have lived here long enough, but I we never talked to.

This had taught me that I could find happiness in simplicity too, which is usually not too far away, and how valuable family relationship is to me. This prompted me to think more about life in perspective, and I have made plans to live better, for myself, and for the future generation, instead of bashing through life aimlessly.

LESSONS LEARNT:

1) You child can be your coach.

2) Keep learning. You start from scratch as a parent.

3) Parenting is the joy of discovery.

4) My colleague once described his children as ‘toys for adults’. Nurture these 'toys' well.

No comments: