Thursday, July 23, 2009

An Evening with Macca Part 1


Organised by Macca X and Beats Per Minutes-Asia, this talk held last night was a relevant and unique one for both new and seasoned triathletes. Ironman Triathlon World Champion 2007, Chris ‘Macca’ McCormack focused on many useful aspects like training, nutrition, rest and recovery, mental conditioning, coaching and anecdotes on the champions. I will share key aspects about this session over the next few postings. You can also join his fan club on Macca X.

I, finally, took a photo with him (after missing my photo-opportunity with him in China and Singapore). I also won a mini-poster sized, photograph of him (riding his bike), with him penning some very inspirational words. These ‘four words’ will, hopefully, drive me towards performing better in a sport that I am passionate about. I will upload this photo on my Facebook account soon. I am also happy to have met new triathlete-friends (Trish, Kevin and David) through my training buddy, Jacob Lieu.

The essence of Macca’s sharing included:

1) Work on your weaknesses in the early-season; strengths in the late-season.

2) Be structured in your training.

3) Races do not make you tired or perform poorly, the buildup period (training) does.

4) Races are like hard, key workouts that bring you to the next level. Or else, train at the intensity of a race.

5) Your races test you and give you a point-of-view.

6) Less is more. Take the occasional rest.

7) Do strength-specific stuff. Macca does not do weights as he gains muscle quickly.

8) You cannot be too skinny as it may impair your race performance.

9) Coaches are motivators; Macca prefers consultants. Have faith in them!

10) Learn to trust your own instincts.

[Image from MaccaX website, all rights to Chris McCormack].

No comments: