Saturday, January 28, 2012

Assuming New Positions

I am a proponent of professional bike fitting. A proper and thorough bike fit can be delivered through state-of-the-art measuring tools, a vast knowledge of kinesiology and anatomy, a scientifically inquiring mind, and hands-on experience. Having been fitted by David Greenfield of Elite Bicycles, I have learnt to appreciate that all bodies are different and unique, and the one-size approach may not fit all. Not all bodies are designed to fit stock sizes, and adapting to these fixed measurements may upset your body's normal geometry and symmetry.

After my customized bike-frame got thrashed after last weekend’s collision behind a parked truck, I used my old (but reliable) Orbea Vitesse road-bike for my 5-hour ride this morning. Although I was not used to riding for prolonged periods on the handlebars, I did not feel too uncomfortable. David fitted me on this bike in 2010 and I have once on it at Ironman New Zealand 2010. Instead of adjusting myself to my bike, I had my bike adjusted to my unique body structure. I will be ordering another Elite Razor triathlon frame as I place my fullest trust on a well-tested and well-designed product.

My friend, Andy Ng has assumed his new role as President of our triathlon club, Triathlon Family. Although hesitant about this initially, he has immersed in his new role with the energy and gumption required of a leader. He will lead us in our first club event – Triathlon Sprint – on 5 February.

When I moved from member to committee member to secretary to vice-president of my club, I had to make quick mental shifts into each position of leadership. With each role was a loosely defined job description (JD) and job scope (JS); the rest you figured out as you moved as gracefully along with your duties. You could rely on the veteran colleagues to assist you in clarifying functions, acquire new skills, and absorbing new experiences.

Leadership Lessons: Which new positions have you adopted recently? How did you quickly learn your new function and responsibilities? Who did you turn to when you needed guidance and clarification? How did you adapt and cope with changes? How open were you with modifications and suggestions?

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I am not sure where you're getting your info, but great topic. I needs to spend some time learning more or understanding more. Thanks for wonderful info I was looking for this info for my mission.
150 LB Tactical Trailblazer® Crossbow