Saturday, January 21, 2012

In the Zone or Zoned Out?

Athletes have described their experience about being ‘in the zone’. It is a sensation of clarity, confidence, alertness and fluidity. Everything falls into place, and the body feels that every swing, stroke, step or toss is almost effortless.

‘Zoned out’ is the reversed situation. Fatigue and malaise can cause one to daydream, and lose alertness. This afternoon, after more than four hours of cycling, I found myself ‘zoned out’. Before that, I was enjoying being in the zone. This was what I posted on Facebook an hour after my accident.

Used up yet another one of my nine lives. After four hours of riding against headwinds, I ride smack into the back of a stationary, trailer-truck at a traffic light. Left shoulder felt like I got punched by a 'Real Steel' fight-robot. Aero-bar cracked, bike slightly scratched, tire unhinged, chain dropped - picked myself up, gathered my pride (what's left) and braved home. Two pre-CNY ago, I was hit by a cab while riding. Story of my life. I am laughing to myself over this with a plethora of self-deprecating adjectives. My cycling friends: Be careful when riding, especially when riding on Coastal Road or elsewhere.’

Now that I have regained my silent lucidity, I spotted several grammatical errors in that post. Emotions and adrenaline have a way of shading one’s intellect. Having iced my left shoulder, I feel better and may be taking a few days off serious training. I have 2.5 hours of distance running which I may postpone to a few days after. My custom-made bike by Elite has a few cuts and scrapes, and it certainly needs a close examination and partial overhaul; it did protect me, I am sure.
On a positive note, Iron-Team Varella have raised about NZ$1,800.00 so far. We expect a few more donors to surface shortly, so that is good news to us. Thank YOU, my caring and considerate sponsors! I am proud to represent Singapore with a team of about a dozen participants in Taupo on 3 March. To be able to train for an Ironman as we do is a profound privilege. Every breath that we take during a triathlon reminds us of those who suffer debilitating conditions like cystic fibrosis, asthma and emphysema. May they breathe better with thoughtful medical and physiotherapeutic initiatives.


Breathe well, and live well. Inhale every moment!

3 comments:

Kevin Siah said...

Scary! Seems so Deja Vu!

Glad that you're not seriously hurt. Do rest well and wishing you a speedy recovery.

Anonymous said...

Clutz,
Rest up Grasshopper...!

Enrico Varella said...

Thank you, Kevin and the other writer. I am recovering well. I hoe that my accident reminds cyclists to pay attention to their surroundings when they train hard. I was lucky I sustained mild injuries. I will be more careful.