Wednesday, December 1, 2010

Zen & The Art of Bicycle Maintenance

I ask loads of questions of my certified bike fitters. I recall years ago, how I struggled for longer, to dismantle and assemble my racing-bike at overseas races. I was, deliberately, clueless about how the physical features and properties of a bike. I was a bike dummy and had to learn pronto!

Subsequently, I learnt to do tasks like:

1)    Repair a punctured tyre.
2)    Disassemble a bike.
3)    Pack a bike into a bike-case, and protecting it.
4)    Assemble a bike.
5)    Conduct basic checks after assembling.
6)    Fix bike accessories (install new pedals, cleats on shoes, X-Lab post).
7)    Cleaning the chain (degreasing) and lubricating vulnerable bike parts that rust.
8)    Make important tape markings (position of seat-post, cleat position on shoes).
9)   Ensure speedometer works.

This basic knowledge is important and relevant, as paying a bike mechanic to do so may be costly. This is also expected of traveling participants. I recall studying my copy of Lennard Zinn’s book The Art of Road Bike Maintenance.
You enjoy a sense of pride and accomplishment for putting a bike together. It is similar to assembling home furnishing from IKEA. More importantly, it is applying existing knowledge before it fades.
******
Packing my bike tonight. I will use my new Edge wheels – it reminds me of my ZIPPS 404s. The X-Lab adaptor is up with two transferred carbon Gorilla (anti-launch) cages. I will be riding minimalist with adequate gels in gel-bottles (stuffed in my racing-top), working off the aid-stations (Gatorade Endurance and water), and my Special Needs bag. The Bento box may come off – I will decide shortly, as my racing attire and creative use of duct-tape will allow me easy access of my gels and Power-Bars.

2 comments:

Ted Kruchten said...

It's a needed knowledge as a bike owner to know about how to take care of your bike, or else, at the wrong place and at the wrong time, it will break down when you least expected it. That's why in my case, I always take care of my most valued aluminium bronze colored aluminium alloys bike that was given to me by my father as a gift every week, just to prevent any signs of wear from showing.

Enrico Varella said...

Thank you for your comment, Ted. I wasn't aware of such an alloy and its useful characteristics. It would be useful for bike designers to consider using such materials for both a functional and aesthetic points of relevance. I am pleased that you received a valuable gift from your father. Keep cycling!