Saturday, December 11, 2010

My Post-Race Evaluation

With almost a week to settle in from IMWA 2010 (5 December), I penned my evaluation report for my edification. Wayne Kurtz proposes writing your impressions and observations after your race. Do it soon, to keep details vivid and accurate.

What went well?
1)    Focused on my options.
2)    Damage control went as planned.
3)    Managed the controllable factors.
4)    Had a joyful run through finish chute. Mike Riley announced my name while I was acknowledging the spectators and volunteers. A sweet moment!
5)    Safe swim with better glide and cadence.
6)    Stronger off the bike-to-run.
7)    Lucid and focused to acknowledge my experiences, and volunteers and supporters.

What went awry?
1)    Seven bathroom breaks, off the bike. Review my hydration plan.
2)    Check collar/seams of wetsuit. I had significant abrasions on my neck that stung badly when volunteer applied sunscreen on my neck.
3)    Still left out two items: my special needs bag (sausages), and vials of caffeinated gels (almost forgot).
4)    Missed my expected timings.
5)    Swim sighting could be better. Need more power and fitness in my swim.
6)    Sprained wrist (and suspected hairline fracture) affected swim stroke and steadying of aero- position.
7)    Bike handling in windy conditions. I lost too much speed when working against the headwinds, and fatigued.

I started working on some of these factors – mentally, and recently physically – while in my post-race recovery stage. Coach Fox’s advice will be integrated into my next race preparation, as will the information gleaned from my mates who posted PBs that day. Learn and lead.

No comments: