Wednesday, December 8, 2010

A Smile Is Always Appreciated

During my ride at last weekend's Ironman triathlon, Fox passed me twice, called out to me, and smiled at me. I observed quite a few of the slower riders who accompanied me, returned my smile. I smiled on my early loops, not for the photographers but more for  myself and to my fellow competitors.

What does it cost to smile? Very little, really. A smile takes fewer muscles to activate than a frown. In service, smiles are indelibly connected as part of its delivery. A smile conveys the notion of friendliness, sincerity and beijng genuine. It emotes happiness and joy. Not hard to do.

When you smile to yourself during your exercise, it makes the intensity bearable. It may appear silly to others, yet on the physiological level, it promotes a heightened sense of confidence and conviction. Chrissy Wellington and Natasha Badmann do it when racing in Kona. They project a dazzling sense of ability and capability - stuff that champions are made off. And, you need not do it at the end-point. I braved my poor swim and ride and ran my best and smiled to myself, my mates, competitors, volunteers and spectators. I received their reciprocation, so it was worth every smile I could muster.

Go on - smile. Even if you have no reason to. How did you feel? By the way, the ever-cheerful Fox did very well on his Ironman triathlon.

No comments: