Wednesday, March 21, 2012

War Stories & The Trinkets Bowl

In the 1990’s, I was privileged to be part of local professional drama company, TheatreWorksWriters’ Laboratory. I started with a lead role on Michael Chiang’s ‘Army Daze’ – a definitive and coming-of-age play of Singaporean youths and national service – feeling like a new recruit in boot-camp in the history-making, 25, continuous runs of the show.

This group of playwrights met regularly to write, discuss and test out new material. I was honoured to have my first play recognized and earn an honorarium by the Ministry of Information and the Arts (MITA). I was fortunate to direct, act and produce my two playlets (dissected from the longer version), Conversations In The Dark Part 1 & 2. It was a tough by rewarding experience to work with an awesome cast comprising actors I worked with, on Army Daze.

I learnt from established playwright, Desmond Sim of his creativity trigger. He puts stuff he finds of interest, into an empty fishbowl. When he needs to make a nexus with his characters, he fishes into this bowl and makes a connection with the object. I really liked Desmond’s suggestion, which endures with me as a stimulus for my creativity.

On 30 March, my team of TriFam triathletes and endurance athletes will be meeting for a beer-and-share session. Each person will bring a medal and share their story behind it. Each medal tells a story of achievement, accomplishment and attainment. It should be fun to hear of war stories, wounds and wonderings, and I wait with anticipation. Stay tuned.

No comments: