Tuesday, June 1, 2010

Dealing with Disappointment

Look forward, life presents endless opportunities when we create these or know where to look for them. It is said that in crisis, there is opportunity.

Somewhere in the middle, it gets hazy, fuzzy and a lot confusing. Here is where we have to make decisions, and these come with consequences. There are implications to the choices we make, and the actions we take. Life, occasionally, serves us a curve ball. It depends on how able, ready and willing we are to bat. Our personal leadership – our Inner Pilot, if you will – guides us through these moments of adversity and apprehension.

Ironman Japan (IMJ) 2010 has been cancelled; this follows hot on the heels of the cancellation of the Ironman Langkawi series. IMJ is a major sports event for Goto Nagasaki next weekend, however the organizing committee had to pull the plug. Judging from the organiser’s urgent letter online, it is a decision made on the big picture. There is a suspected outbreak of Hand, Foot and Mouth Disease and it may affect the tourists and competitors to the island. My friend, Hui Koon who has been training very hard and looking forward to the race is disappointed, and naturally so. I am sure our coach Fox will have a chat with him.

I can empathise with Hui Koon as I suffered two major disappointments in my first two Ironman races in 2006: IM New Zealand and IM Korea. Both had their swims cancelled due to bad weather; Lake Taupo, NZ experienced 90kph winds and metre-high waves. As painful as it was, I raced the partial races as it was still sanctioned Ironman races and added eight more complete races thereafter. I never regretted what happened as I learnt lessons that I carried with me through my later races. I learnt to move on, move forward and refocused on my subsequent race strategies. I also appreciated the fact I was inexperienced in racing and needed more work on my total fitness.

Looking back, it all made sense in hindsight. I trust the participants of IMJ will do so, and aim further and forward to their individual potential.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

hi there! great blog ! may i find out from where u got the news that IM langkawi '11 has been cancelled ? -- leo

Enrico Varella said...

Hi, Leo.

Thanks for dropping by. Ironman Malaysia is no more on the IRONMAN website: http://ironman.com/events/ironman

Others full distance Ironman races are sold out for early 2011, except for IM China which is pending. There are many reasons for the removal of key IM events in Asia in recent years, i.e. IM Korea and IM Malaysia, and quality and standards of execution of races are two major reasons, I believe.

There is also a mention on the Triathlon Family forum (http://triathlonfamily.com). Our members are strong supporters of this race, of which I completed twice before.

Cheers.