Saturday, October 15, 2011

So I Missed Boston by A Minute, What Else Can I Qualify For?

New NYC Marathon guidelines have emerged for guaranteed entries. This may make it easier or harder for applicants. In the past, internationals had a perceived better chance to earn a slot; those previously denied three times were guaranteed to be fourth-time lucky. The BQ for Boston Marathon has been reduced by five minutes across the board for the 2013 edition.

Ironman (M-Dot) races will raise the favour for those who have completed 12 M-Dot Ironman races in the annual lottery. The emphasis is on the M-Dot logo/WTC-sanctioned Ironman triathlons. Sorry, your Challenge Series and Enduroman Ironman-distance triathlons do not count. Many have speculated that WTC is attempting to preserve the sanctity and stability of the M-Dot brand. With many M-Dot races sold out days to hours in advance, we can conclude that Ironman is alive and well, and the Kona Dream is still the Holy Grail dream many neophytes and seasoned long-distance triathletes seek.

Will the madness end?
This morning, I partnered Hui Koon for The North Face (TNF) 100 Duo: each of us ran 50K over rugged terrain and road. I struggled after my 10K as the mid-morning heat began to take its toll on my physical fitness. I learnt from ultra-marathoners to walk up the slopes, and to run down the reverse side. The stifling heat, muddy portions of trail, and loose rocks made for a challenging race. My race attire was my Panache cycling top (no abrasion even though I wore my portable water-pack), triathlon tights, Avia Avi-Stolz trail shoes, and two pairs of socks (including Injinji as my innermost pair).


I took a wrong turn-off at the 37.5K-mark as the signpost indicated more of a leftward slant; I was among four others who realised that we veered off-course. We warned a few others running our way after we retraced our steps. I ran an additional mile (1.6K) with downtime spent reading a map and finding our bearings. I also assisted two cases of cramped runners by offering them squirts of ‘Stop Cramp’ (they sprayed the natural oils under their tongue), which seemed to work. I reckon I will not be doing another trail run any time in the future, as I prefer to do road marathons. Hui Koon did well and registered a 6:14 while I crossed the line in 6:51.

I have the Newton 30K Run in a fortnight’s time, and judging by my recovery time and current situation, I may skip this race altogether. I elect to do a better marathon in Singapore on 4 December (same day as Ironman Western Australia), and assess my chances of a personal best and even a BQ. So, rest, recuperation and lots of interval training sessions will be the menu for me, after my superbly long run today.
Photo-credit: Freddy Yeoh

1 comment:

Matty Wong said...

Rest well esp the foot. Skipping the Newton 30 maybe wise (Live another, fight harder).

Good work on the run. It's a tough race.