Tuesday, October 18, 2011

If A Tree Falls In the Forest…

There is a saying: ‘If a tree falls in the forest and there is no one to see or hear it – did the tree fall?’
I found out today that I was penalized for my TNF100 Duo run. After running through the woods for about 52.5K, I had apparently missed the second timing-mat. I was among many others who did not get a placing, and so was waylaid for a ranking. Fortunately, as a result of the oversight (or poor directions) my partner was ranked third. I am pleased for him. It reminds me of the half-marathon fiasco in August, where misdirected runners ran extra and I was unknowingly declared winner in my age-group. I am not fussed about it as my partner got his first win for the year. Congrats, buddy!
It is all about evidence. Place a CCTV in the vicinity of the tree-fall and you may witness the demise of the tree. If the CCTV botches and fails to capture the images, will the crimpled heap of the former-tree matter? If electronic devices faulty, or fail to capture data from the source what will you do to the one measured? Caveat emptor: Buyer, beware! Run at your own peril. In fact, there were many signboards that cautioned the runners about potential deadfall. We were expected to run, alert to this possibility.
Looking at the bright side, I had a few shots of me making my way through the trails. I managed to connect with these photographers who lined up at the most unexpected places to be photographed. Thank you, kind photographers!

Sheila Taormina is in Singapore today. She begins her evening theory lectures, and begins her swim clinics tomorrow. I am looking forward to my theory session tomorrow with my swimming-mates, Hui Koon, Richard and Jimmy. 4-time Olympian and Olympic gold-medalist, Sheila has a long list of achievements including the ITU Aquathlon World champion in 2005.

Photo-Credit: Sasha Farina, Gy Chau, Joanne Loke, Joe Cheung

Leadership Lessons: What do you do when you get penalized for something? How do you respond to unexpected results? How much do you pay attention to the guideposts around you? How often do you capture evidence of connections made with people?

No comments: