Monday, October 3, 2011

Books to Inspire You To A Personal Best

‘When I despair, I remember that all through history the way of truth and love have always won. There have been tyrants and murderers, and for a time, they can seem invincible, but in the end, they always fall. Think of it – always.’ MAHATMA GANDHI

Inspiration comes in many forms. It can be an insight, realisation, being touched by your muse, or a sudden impulse to do something not attempted before. Said Eleanor Roosevelt, ‘Do one thing everyday that scares you.’ Wayne Gretsky said: ‘I miss 100 percent of the shots I don’t take.’

I am, currently, reading a few books and it includes a few biographies of inspiring people. I enjoy biographies, since I reviewed books and films by sportspeople including Chris McCormack, Bart Yasso and Fred Lebow.
Matt Long was a New York City firefighter with East Harlem's Ladder Company 43. He was crushed by an off-course, charter bus while riding his Trek 2200 road-bike, to an early-morning workout on a cold winter's day. He was, literally, horribly dragged under a bus, impaled, and nearly died. A 3:13 NYC Marathon finisher (and Boston Qualifier), NYC firefighter, and Ironman triathlon finisher – he was painfully close to death. After the gruesome accident, and a prognosis that he would likely be paralysed, Long endured 40 operations and months in the hospital. He focused on the finish-line of the NYC Marathon 2008, which he completed after his recovery when he was 42. It was a major accomplishment for Long, and it motivated him to begin speaking publicly, and to create the ‘I Will’ foundation to help people recover from traumatic, life-altering, illnesses or injuries. His memoir, The Long Run (co-written with an editor at Runner’s World magazine) is full of the heartfelt ‘can-do’ attitude that should appeal to the Iron Man in everyone. It chronicles his long and determined road to recovery, both physically and psychologically.
I wrote a few weeks ago that I met Sister Madonna Buder, one of my inspirations to do Ironman triathlons. At 80-years-old, she is the oldest female Ironman triathlete, and still racing. I intend to read 'The Grace to Race' and post a review, thereafter.
Few would be touched when they watch the athletic exploits of The Hoyts. Team Hoyt is a poignant relationship between father and son, and a dream that needed to be realized. This is another book I will get in my shopping cart for Amazon.com.

No comments: