Saturday, October 1, 2011

Crossing Countries and Cross-Country Running

In exactly two weeks’ time, I will be running with my triathlon-buddy, Hui Koon in The North Face (TNF) 100 Duo race. Each of us will have to complete 50K worth of challenging and varying terrain. I have not run cross-country for a while, with my last being my running club’s (MR25) 5K time-trial. My recent rolling road race was when I ran was at the Yellow Ribbon Project 10K Run, and placed 44th in 44:44.
This is the latest controversy to erupt in the triathlon world. Two former-world champions in triathlon are suing an author and publisher for irresponsible journalism and inaccurate reporting. Reporting on the truth is a challenging task, marred by failure to establish agreement (about content and co-authorship) with the subjects being interviewed. Will a suggested boycott of this new book fan or flag its sales?
I just watched a 3-hour-plus long Hindi film, Veer-Zaara (2004) directed by Yash Chopra; it was the top-grossing Bollywood film of the year. It is a romantic story set against the backdrop of tension-riffed India and Pakistan. A former-air Indian Airforce Squadron leader (Shahrukh Khan) who falls in love with a Pakistani woman (who hails from a rich, political family) is jailed for 20 years. A female Pakistani lawyer attempts to free him after hearing his story, and in the process delivers abject lessons on justice and cross-border relations. Overall, I enjoyed the film as there were some poignant moments, focus on family values, well-written dialogue, and the enticing musical score. 

Tomorrow after, I may test my cross-country legs at MR25’s bi-monthly 5K time Trial. If I do cross the line below 22:00, I will then earn my new ranking as a Greyhound. I missed that moniker by one sly second in August, so I commit to giving it my hearty shot. Plus, the countryside view is not too shabby. Have an enjoyable weekend!

No comments: