Sunday, November 21, 2010

Sunday Tabloids Tales

Rode my last long ride this morning. I intended to do 120K however my wrist was still unstable, so I rode about four hours with a new triathlon partner, Andy. I followed that up with another hour of run intervals in the pool. In effect after five minutes of jogging in the pool, I did one, two-and three-minute intervals with 2-minute rest between sets. Towards the end of my workout, I hit four minutes. To increase the intensity, I focused on increasing my cadence and lifted my knees. This raises your heart rate and involves your arms and legs as you push against water. The relevance of this exercise was that it part of my ride-run brick, and works arms and core muscles. You will also, naturally, run on your forefoot (or balls of your feet); it is also easier on your knees and ankles, as the buoyancy afforded by water reduces the weight-bearing load on your joints. Attempt it and discover the benefits!
In response to enquiries about the Vincero-Design magnetic-mounted water bottle, here is an independent review by Bike Diva. There are pros and cons to using such a system for training (you don’t want to toss this during a race at the aid-station!), and with practice and observance of safety considerations, it can be a complementary accessory for your bike.

When uber-Ironman world champion, Chrissy Wellington won at Kona in 2009 again, she rolled on her belly Jon ‘Blazeman’ Blais style across the finishing line. Help support the War on ALS! Just yesterday, there were 5,000 downloads of the Blazeman song on iTunes.

A friend from our local magic club asked me last night: Is leadership nature or nurture? My sense and response is that in the corporate world, it is learnt and nurtured. For global leaders, there is a strong element of nature backing the nurturing. Most team-leaders can enhance aspect of their natural and unnatural leadership. There are several distinct qualities that define a leader, and you will need to refine these through time to gain the attention, attraction and attainment by others. As leadership is about influence, you have to sell it before they buy it; sell-in before buy-in.

The Double Deca-Ironman triathlon is currently on. My friend, Wayne Kurtz is now 5th in the Deca-Ironman race. We wish him all the best in his quest! Thanks, Harn Wei for your updates, too.

No comments: