Saturday, November 27, 2010

If You Got To Go, You Got To Go!

I posted this link to Chrissy Wellington’s blog on the Triathlon Family Forum. I enjoyed the honesty and realism behind her race preparation and racing psychology. Most of all, I wanted to highlight the fact about the dilemma that professional triathletes have when racing, and needing to relieve themselves, tactically.

In the past, some of my triathlon buddies scoffed at my practice of, occasionally, relieving myself on the ride. My Coach, the Fox, instructed me to learn how to do it. He had asked me if I noticed if professionals take a pee break. I have not. I discovered that they do it on the ride; female pros included. In Chrissy’s recent blog, she confessed that she relieved herself six times! At least she was adequately hydrated. My friend, Hui Koon remarked in his forum posting today, that he could have been dehydrated during races. I actually rode to a PB in Ironman Malaysia in 2008 when I kept to my bike throughout. Roadies have told me about their one-handed technique for relieving themselves on long rides – I was impressed.

If you don’t pee often during the race, you may be dehydrated. Dehydration may cost you your race. Your body’s ability to process oxygen may be impeded when your blood is thick due to inadequate fluid intake. Dehydration leads to loss of power on the ride and reduced stamina on the run. Urine is sterile. When you drink enough, your urine is clear and odourless.

Why do you choose to be sickened by bodily discharge? Let’s be clear: nobody is attractive and glamorous as they cross the finishing line. Sweat-stained, attire blended with nasal and oral discharge, are not particularly attractive even to your embracing family members. Hey – we stink! And that’s the truth. Showers and baths will do the trick of smelling good.

If you want to save precious time for your PB, and wish to relieve yourself on the swim, ride and run then consider the following:

1)    Practise in training. Many people cannot pee on command. You got to train for it.
2)    Pee in your wetsuit – not a major issue. Pee on your ride and run, rinse immediately with water. Use your bidon to squirt the residue away by aiming at your groin. Some of it will run into one shoe, and you can wash it after the race.
3)    See before you pee: watch if there is anyone behind you. It is not courteous to leave your trail without warning.
4)    Do it as you cruise downhill, or have a freewheeling moment.
5)    If modesty or habit does not allow, then head for a porta-loo. Aim for an empty one, or the shortest queue. From experience, I’d head for an all-guy queue. Don’t take it personally.
6)    After the race, give your bike a wipe through. Degrease and clean. Salt water does the most damage to metallic parts of your bike.
7)    I am not selling bike, and my seat can be replaced through time.

5 comments:

Kevin Siah said...

Yup, started doing it for my 2nd Ironman. Only on the bike though. And after a while, I noticed that I have the urge to pee immediately after drinking water. Wonder if it's because the body stops absorbing water.

Enrico Varella said...

Thanks for sharing, mate. I do it when I swim, partly due to nerves and over-drinking; and on the bike. It is interesting how many of my tri-buddies have an aversion to peeing on the bike. I understand that it is common among triathletes and cyclists Down Under.

Matty Wong said...

You guys are sickos...

Can you do a video, post it on Youtube for us to learn and practice?

Teo Hui Koon said...

Coach says to pee on the run too! Frankly, I have no idea how to do this. But I think I will have to do it this year. Last year, I pee-ed 5 times on the run!!! Wasted so much time!
Matt, its darn easy on the bike. On my 2nd try I managed it. Too bad for the blokes behind drafting when the urine gets on the rear wheel... Hiak hiak hiak... Splatter splatter splatter...

Tobias said...

Interesting topic ;)
I generally don't stop for a pee, time is too precious. In fact I don't even have the urge to do so, although I hydrate regularly and never had dehydration issues. Guess I'm not a heavy sweater and all trainings runs and rides are w/o drinks (up to 3hrs, beyond that I def need a sip).