Tuesday, November 2, 2010

Iron-made Motivations

As I bought the latest copy of Gentlemen’s Quarterly (GQ) magazine, I noticed the words ‘Unsuitable for the Young’ on a yellow sticker affixed to its cover. This warning label is plastered over several titles, most of which imploring under-21 year-olds to not buy openly. It reminded me of how, as a young rebel, I used to get my hands on objectionable material and media. As I grew older, my quietly rebellious streak assumed a sense of discernment where I filtered what I read, watched and experienced. The more something was ‘exclusive’ or ‘out of reach’, I was tempted by my curiosity, and my interest was piqued.

Having done several Ironman triathlons, I can attest to the wonders it has done for my self-esteem, confidence and my value. Jim Collins said: ‘Swim 2.4 miles. Ride 112 miles. Then, run a full marathon. Brag for life!’ How true. Bragging is optional, yet you are entitled to your personal pride and sense of achievement. Medals end up in a special shoebox, and certificates go into a folder. Post-race t-shirts may get over-used and worn out eventually, and your weekend wardrobe never looks normal again.
Ironman Lanzarote advertises on its website: Normal limits do not apply.
Ironman Malaysia touts itself as: The Toughest Day on Earth.
Norseman XTreme Triathlon: Are you ready for the world’s toughest long-distance triathlon?

If I had a t-shirt, I would have it printed: ‘Ironman Coach: First three lessons free!’ ‘Triathletes do it three times in a row!’ 'Iron-man: TRI-al by fire.'

Train well and safely!

No comments: