Friday, November 19, 2010

Motivational Tactics Before A Race

"Decision Must Be Instant...Commitment Must Be Total." - Blazeman


For close shave finishes, I enjoyed the 2006 Ironman World Championships when Norman Stadler won his second world title by a narrow margin of about 71 seconds before Chris ‘Macca’ McCormack. The 2007 DVD showed new winners through Chrissy Wellington and Macca. The 2009 DVD with Craig and Chrissy repeat is definitely worth watching for their repeat wins (second for Crowie; third for Wellington). I am most inspired by the late-finishers, where their struggles (towards the midnight cutoff) make it painful yet exciting to watch. I am still inspired by the late-Jon Blais ‘Blazeman’ and saddened by our loss.

‘Every man’s death saddens me for it diminishes mankind.’
For non-Ironman DVDs, I’d watch Hollywood films like Breaking Away, The Rookie, The Flying Scotsman, American Flyers, Tin Cup, Bagger Vance, Miracle, Rocky (1,2,3, 4 & 6), and Invincible. I adore and support the Underdog, rising from the ashes of despair into a reborn, fiery phoenix. 
*****
This evening, still nursing a tender right wrist (Day 9 of sprain), I rode for two hours followed by about an hour of running in the pool. I was reassured that my wrist felt comfortable on my aero-bars. I must say that Elite Bicycles did a thorough job of fitting my bike to my severely imbalanced body. The directors of Elite continue to remind me to do my core exercises – a bonus for clients they provide customised fitting.

I have found that by running in chest-high water, I can train my cadence for running. By lifting my knees higher and maintaining the lean, I can run on forefoot whilst still in place – it works your core muscles as you have to stay balanced on the slippery tiled floor. The water helps cool your body when you do hard intervals – I warm up with one minute moderate to hard pace, followed by two-minute and three-minute intervals. You can raise your heart-rate while reducing impact on your barefoot. It is like running unshod, without the Vibram Five Fingers. By focusing on the moving water in front of me, I can visualize myself running on the marathon course.

I look forward to my wetsuit swim at the lagoon tomorrow morning. I may integrate a fast 10K run before that. Time to rest my weary bones.

No comments: