Saturday, November 6, 2010

So Much For Big-Man Plans

Today, I dropped out of my 200K ride at the 135K-mark; I was annoyed that I had to bail out on Hui Koon who’s headed to IMWA. He managed 195K, which was pretty near what I covered last weekend when he blew his tyre out. I completed just under-150K, or five hours worth of pedaling. The road was busy with groups of roadies, Ironman-in-training and familiar faces (Nicholas, Ai Ling, and Robert Choy of T3 Bicycle Gears). As the morning grew into afternoon, the cyclists gradually made an exodus for cooler pastures.

I was struggling with a persistent spasm on my upper right trapezius muscles and middle back. Essentially, the entire right scapula was tight when I was in the aero-position. Sitting upright did me no good, as the wind resistance created in the totem position only served to slow me down.

I dialed up an appointment at the massage centre at Parkway Parade and secured a 20-minute session. The masseur requested that I let him know if his pressure was too hard, but I let him have a good go at it. It stung when he hit the epicenter of the muscle spasm. A muscle spasm can only be released by going at it deep. It certainly hurts. However, if you work at it hard and long enough, the tensed muscles will relent, and relax. Sore as I was after the massage, the pain was reduced and I have more mobility in the troubled area.

Monday’s 90-minute session at Core Concepts with my sports masseur should reveal and release all accumulated spasms. My legs are battlefields of tightness, like a large pincushion of alert pressure points. For the last two weeks I have been doing at least 15-17 hours total training time. This has been the most intense fortnight of my Ironman training ever. I used to get by with 10-12 hours per week, but that was enough to ensure I completed in decent times. To earn a PB in any of the three disciplines, I would have to work longer and with more intensity.

This coming week, I will be working just as hard before I taper off. So, I have more – shorter but intense - workouts to do. So, more drills and distance to cover; but additional sleep will be a bonus I shall relish.

No comments: