Friday, November 12, 2010

Calculated Risk is Not Risky Taking

This is not sage advice; just sound reasoning.

It is three weeks out to IMWA, and my reliable Coach, Fox (aka Craig Holland) and are I are both injured. I sprained my wrist a two days ago. Fox has been diagnosed, yet again, with overuse syndrome on the same reconstructed knee and some arthritis. He states that his days are numbered. I can relate to that, and most aging amateur athletes know that your body can only do so much. Train, rest, recover – repeat. That is the natural cycle.

It is analogous to a good quality bicycle. Treat it well, and it lasts longer. You still need to have it serviced regularly, and change certain parts because of heavier usage. Likewise, the body is similar except that if you treat it well you can heal to become stronger and last longer. Sister Madonna Budder will race at the 70.3 World Championships in Clearwater, Florida again this year. The bandwidth of athletes (from 35-50 years) is creaming their own performances in 70.3 and Ironman races.

Taking risks is part of the training and racing processes. It is not about being reckless and stupid. When you are silly and careless, you have to bear the consequences. When you are injured, you actually risk more injury training the same way, are without rest, or dismiss guidance.

I am resting up for a few days, doing my forced positive recovery: RICES (intervention) and staying mentally ready. It can be so easy to succumb to disappointment, however you need not do so. Despite it being nearly two days after my fall, I am making good progress – more mobility in my wrist (I can, thankfully, type – albeit slowly) although I will be off the shifters for a few more days. I should be able to run in the pool and walk tomorrow; I may use a stationary bike, too. My base fitness should be my insurance and assurance.

No major compromise, perhaps some recalibration of race-plan. It is all in my mind of a reasonably fit body. I am enjoying my period of imposed rest and recuperation: muscles feel rested and stronger.

2 comments:

Kevin Siah said...

Get well soon, Enrico. Hope to see you at 100% at Busso.

Enrico Varella said...

Thank you, mate. I hope so, too. Would love us all to race to our PBs. You keep well. See you in three weeks' time. Look out for the skinny senior from Singapore.