Saturday, November 21, 2009

Tribal Networking Is An Active Process

Social/Tribal networking is different from business networking. Nevertheless, they share commonalities.

I continue to review the power and potential of social media tools when I was on vacation. My friend, Marco was working on different time-zones with his electronic mails, Blackberry and phone-calls. Facebook is a pleasant complement in this digital compendium of connectivity. I just connected with my ex-colleague, Edward who is now based in Seattle. From my small tribe of friends on Facebook alone, I received useful advice and recommendations when I was in the Big Apple this week. I also traced the nexus of our common friends, so that we can thread together a future, 'larger conversation' - what I like to call 'Productive Conversations'.

Regardless of your choice of social media tools, your networks can only come alive if you activate it regularly. Stay high-tech, yet high-touch. Otherwise, our friendships and acquaintances become stale and stagnant. How do you enhance your relationships? Relationships do matter in our future. The next time you are overseas, who do you contact when in town? Who wants to meet up with you when you are there?

My cousin, Dennis has been posting interesting and humorous vignettes and anecdotes of his recent adventures while on vacation. As he writes very well (he regards himself a closet-author), he posts useful information. He is a curious and investigative person with a flair for the narrative, and his commentaries speak volumes. His photographs are captivating, and arouses your curiosity. From his reports, I know what he is up to and he influences me to consider possibilities in travel.

When Facebook gently prompts us to reconnect with somebody, it is suggesting that we stay active in touch, the same way that we remain physically active in our lifestyle. Keep things simple. Send a thoughtful e-mail to a friend overseas. Send a text message to a friend locally. Organise a Skype video-conferencing session with a new contact, former colleague or student. Call a few friends to do an evening run. Drop off your gifts to friends personally. It is the thought that counts.

Go on - connect with a friend, and family. Build your tribe.

No comments: