Friday, November 27, 2009

Run Up to The Big Run on the Small Island

I ran a fast 21km last night, and clocked about 1 hour 46 minutes. It was my first long run since the 70.3 World Championships. Since that race a fortnight ago, I have been resting up, opting to put on some body mass. My race weight was about 75kg at a body fat measure of 7.3 percent. I suspected my loss of 3kg bodyweight before the race cost me significant power on my riding (I had performed better in 2008). It was a vicious compromise: lose weight and run faster, but lose out on speed on the bike. I would have to review my tapering schedule for Aviva Singapore 70.3 Triathlon and Ironman New Zealand in March next year.

I was not alone, and saw many runners clocking their mileage, probably investing in their last long run as part of their taper to the Big Race on 6 December. Some couples ran in tandem, with the lady leading the run. A couple of mature runners ran opposite me and gave me the nod; I overtook a few, plodding on when I could to simulate race conditions.

At intervals of 3-4km, I drank copiously at the public tap. This consumed about a minute as I ensured hydration, or my energy would surely wane; I also took a power-gel at the 11km mark. I had curious stares from runners who had finished their run; I suspected they also wondered who I was since I was in my triathlon gear. Could he be preparing for Ironman Western Australia? I just feel more comfortable in my racing tights and top.

I believe that these runners showed their dedication or was it their desperation? There is dedication in desperation. It should be interesting to observe the packs of runners this weekend.

No comments: