Friday, November 20, 2009

Jump-Start Your Engine

I was really behind on my writing, and some work assignments until this afternoon. I needed a bright spark for my plug to re-engage my routine and rituals (see previous posting on Rituals).

Our readers may know by now that I intend to make one daily posting for the next three years (thanks to Seth). It is my attempt at creating a leadership Purple Cow and applying unconventional wisdom. 10 days of travel has led me to postpone (not procrastinate) and re-pace my commitment; however, I have taken notes, made observations and researched my topics in my low-tech, lined, notebook (I abandoned the yellow legal pad because it looked too jaundiced).

Earlier this evening, I continued work on my NaNoWriMo novel. I have written about 15,000 words and on cue to my 50,000-word target. One of my two writing buddies may have abandoned his quest; another is about 25,600-word deep. This weekend, I will aim for about 10,000 words at least. The dateline draws near: 30 November. The attempt is simple: Whack out 50,000 words, and disregard censorship, editing and concern for punctuation. That was the advice of our two local moderators from their motivational e-mails. Write furiously – leave the novel intact, warts and all. Our local writers meet once a week for two hours to draw inspiration from the furiousness and ferocity of writing electricity in the cafĂ©.

My strategy: Just write. Initiate with the first sentence that comes to mind. Each word leads another. Draw upon my experiences. Recall conversations and the ideas that excite me. Stick to a timeline: Be it 10 minutes, 30 minutes or 60 minutes. Breathe deeply. Enjoy the emotional surf. It is, after all, a process – a means to an interesting end.

The title was inspired by Matthew’s recent blog about his marathon training, and creativity author, Roger von Oech.

No comments: