Saturday, May 11, 2013

Subtle and Obvious Shifts

I have made several adjustments to my lifestyle recently. Some of these initiatives were salient and significant; others were subtle and unnoticeable. Little changes and shifts in daily habits, tend to add up and become habitual and routine. Keep working at it, and the body and mind adapts and copes with the differences in activity.

On Training: I have begun sleeping earlier, and at least seven hours a night. I have also introduced twice-a-day training sessions: 45-60 minutes of cycling before work, and a 10km run or 60-minute pool session. Monday has become squad night, as my coach puts me through my drills and ensures I am fit for my upcoming races. I am including more core stability/balance work, and intend to include two strength training sessions (with isotonic movements with weights). I have started a few ride-run 'brick' sessions to accustom myself to running on 'tired' legs.

On Racing: I have signed up for 21km and 10k run races before the Gold Coast Airport Marathon (my BQ opportunity). With Ironman 70.3 Philippines (Cebu) as my precursor triathlon before Kona, I will have a fair assessment of my fitness and health before heading to the Big Island for a shot at my dream triathlon. These races are for evaluating my fitness (mainly my speediness and ability to handle hilly terrain). I have also been watching the previous years races online, so as to get a better appreciation of the race-course and condition. It is expected to be hot, windy and humid - conditions that my home-ground has some similarity to.

On Nutrition: I have integrated the use of useful oils in my diet: coconut oil (1-2 teaspoons per day), 2-3 fish oil capsules (deep-sea fish with Omega-3 fatty acids), tart cherry juice (for reducing muscle soreness), pomegranate juice (antioxidants), whey protein and more raw vegetables. I am reducing my overall coffee intake, so as to respond better to caffeine and its usefulness as an ergogenic aid during racing.

As with the introduction of change, I monitor my responses to these changes: my sleeping patterns, restfulness, athletic ability, and recovery. These are important feedback for measuring and monitoring progress.

No comments: