Tuesday, October 11, 2011

Conversations With An Elite Runner: Nathan Carlson

Nate Carlson is a physical therapist with the U.S. Armed Forces. He is also one of their elite runners, traveling internationally as well as within his country to race. He won the Maui Half-Marathon last month, and did the Singapore Bay Run 2011 in about 1:09 – where we connected, through Dave Low (Top in CEO Challenge at the Aviva Singapore Ironman 70.3, and Kona finisher); Dave was our first interviewee when we started this blog. Nate is very well liked within his community, and I thought it would be a treat to tap on his expertise. By the way, 1 mile is equivalent to 1.609 kilometres. If you have any questions about running, please forward them to this blog. Enjoy!

How can a physical therapist assist sportspeople, specifically?

A physical therapist can do running form analysis to break down specific flaws in a sportsperson’s form to give suggestions on how to correct these flaws to improve running efficiency and economy with the ultimate goal of running injury and pain-free. If a runner can train injury-free, then they can improve their physical fitness level over a longer period of time. As training intensity is increased, this will translate into better race times in the long run. 

Additionally, a physical therapist is an expert in body mechanics and training program progression. They can prescribe a program consisting of exercises and alternative workouts that can help rehabilitate a sportsperson and prevent future injuries. 

A physical therapist can diagnose specific physical limitations, weather it is muscle tightness, muscle weakness/imbalances, spinal misalignments, or joint impairments that may need extra attention to facilitate recovery and prevent injury. Every physical therapist has their strength and weaknesses. Some may even specialize in working with sportspeople in general.

How many years have you been practicing? 

I’ve been practicing Physical Therapy for over three-and-a-half years. 

How do you apply your knowledge on PT to your own training? 

Specifically – in injury prevention. I do this through proper recovery, knowledge, and application of correct strength training methods; and proper training volume progression. I never increase my running mileage more than 15% week when my training volume is high. I take at least one rest day every week. I apply my knowledge of running mechanics to adjust my form to improve efficiency and decrease injury risk.  
How is training for the 10K and 21K different? 

The 10K requires a greater emphasis on shorter and fast speed workouts, so include track workouts and faster tempo runs at or just under goal race pace.10k does not require a huge mileage base and your long runs do not need to be greater than 12 miles. For me 21K requires at least 55-70 miles/week, with long runs in excess of 14 miles, plus with longer tempo runs of 30-40 minutes at or just under goal race pace. The distance tempo runs and mileage will get your lungs aerobically conditioned but you still need to make sure you have some faster hill repeats, track intervals (800m and under at 5k race pace) to get your legs conditioned to handle a hard pace or surges under your average race pace.

Which is your favorite format: 10K or 21K? Why? 

I enjoy the 21K because I feel like I can relax more and get in a rhythm.

Do you run marathons? Which was your favorite?

Have not run a full marathon yet. However, I may jump into the Honolulu Marathon this December. I’m more of a speed guy.

What was your best 10K time? How did you accomplish that?

Ha, ha. I actually ran at 31:45 split at the 10K mark during the Army 10-Miler on 9 October 2011. I did this off of 21K training (as above). Other than that, I have not run a fast 10K because I have not entered one where there was competition and I was fit.

Do you drink on your 10K races? How often do you drink in the 21K?

I don’t drink during a 10K. I may drink 3-4 times during a 21K depending upon the level of heat and humidity. Usually at 6 miles, 9-10 miles, and 11. I usually take a gel pack 40 mintes before the race and at around the10-mile mark.

What do you enjoy most about running?

Using the God-given gift to inspire others and honor God with my efforts. Running is my most relaxing time of the day where I can let go of the cares of the day and think or not think at all. Most of the time I talk to Jesus and pray for my friends and family. When I run, I feel God’s pleasure and feel alive! When I was a young child, I watched the movie “Chariots of Fire” and it inspired me to run with a fire in my heart and run not just for myself but to impact those around me with my gift!
Which kinds of cross-training do you do?

Swimming, cycling, and surfing. Light resistance training and core training with movements specific to the sport I’m competing in.

Common injuries you encounter with your running patients?

Overuse injuries from increasing training volume to quickly or changing to minimalist shoes without a slow progression.

Choice of shoes: minimalist, racers, or normal trainers?

I use minimalist or lightweight racers for all my training. However, I advise people to not change if they are not having any injuries. Minimalistic or racing shoes with little to no heel raise, cause increased load on the Achilles tendon and can lead to tendonitis, arch strain, and calf pain. If you are going to transition to minimalistic shoes, gradually progress over a 2-3 month period.

Do you train solo or in groups? Reason?

Currently, I train solo because I don’t have anybody around that trains at my intensity level. But, I prefer group training at least 2-3 times a week because it keeps you accountable on your hard days or easy days. Group training will push you beyond the levels that you thought possible on your hard days and then make sure that you train easy on your easy days. The key is to been in a group with a few people that are at the same level as you or just slightly faster. If you are training over your head, then you will get injured. If you are training with people below your ability, then you will not improve.

Favorite race-courses?

Washington D.C. Cherry Blossom 10-Miler; Maui Half-Marathon and Marathon course; North Shore Sprint Triathlon (Oahu, HI), Anheuser Busch Williamsburg, VA Half-Marathon at William & Mary College; Ford Island Bridge 10K, Hawaii.  My original passion is Track and Field, and my favorite tracks to compete at are: The Armory Indoor Track facility in New York, Hayward Field at University of Oregon, The Mt. SAC Relay’s in California, and The University of Washington indoor track. 

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Nate also used to throw down in NCAA Track and Field. 1500m best of 3:50 is no joke.

Enrico Varella said...

Thank you, friend! Nate is awesome yet humble athlete. 3:50 for 1,500m is brilliant. Very inspiring personn and I'm glad we were able to interview him. I appreciate you making the time to post this information.

Anonymous said...

Nate has recently taken interest in triathlons and is quickly becoming a force on the area circuit. As you said, a very humble and nice guy but a ruthless competitor - yet willing to help others achieve their goals. Good luck, Nate!