Sunday, April 17, 2011

Filing Taxes and Taxing Your Body

I have filed my taxes online for the tax-man! My first quarter of the financial year passed by eventfully. Filing my taxes online has been my ritual for the last few years; I have filed my own taxes for the past decade. It has been 10 years of being self-employed and running my consulting business.

This morning, I intended to ride 150K, however I was struggling to wipe my moist nose. I was clearing the annoying seepage after every 15K, and then decided not to push it. I was sniffing from a cold when I was in teaching in Guangzhou, PRC the whole week. Viral infections and intense physical activity do not pair well. I was fortunate to ride with Aristol for one 30K loop and with Desmond for two. After an earlier and hearty Japanese teppanyaki lunch, I headed to the pharmacy to buy my supply of vitamin C (with zinc). Upon consuming 1000mg with 10mg zinc, I took a nap and felt much better.

Sustained endurance training suppresses our immune system, making us susceptible to colds and flu. Many athletes tend to fall ill prior to a major race, because we tax our spleen, kidneys, liver and adrenal glands - endocrine system.  My ad hoc surveys with friends revealed that upon the onset of the flu, they would increase their vitamin C intake and take Echinacea. Physical training causes inflammation of our muscles and these can take time to heal. Alternative medicine and natural therapy may be relevant options if we intend to veer away from the toxic side effects of Western medicines and medication. Feeling and being well is part of our total well-being. Consider alternative medicine as an alternative to medicine.

I finally purchased the Garmin Forerunner 310XT, and used it this morning as a replacement for my lost speedometer/odometer. All the data from my morning's ride has been downloaded and I am quite pleased with its ease and effectiveness. I enjoy digital and electronic technology that empowers me with new confidence. The software is not complex, however it takes some regular use to full appreciate its capabilities. I enjoyed the applications, integrated with Google Earth maps. Triathlete and blogger, John Cooke updates his training log online with Garmin, so that his readers can visually chart his pre-race training schedule.
Clifford Lee’s successfully completed his 11th Ironman attempt. Unofficially, he is the first Singaporean that we know in the local triathlon community to have achieved this personal record. We congratulate him! Watch his race-day video (taken during the ride and run legs) to gain a sense of his endurance challenge at Ironman South Africa in Port Elizabeth. Now, we know why his transitions are long.

No comments: