Sunday, February 23, 2014

Bucket List 2014

Racing season begins for me this week.

It will be a year of firsts for me: Two Ironman triathlons three weeks apart in March; and Boston Marathon a month after. It will be my fifth trip down to Lake Taupo, Auckland as it is its 30th anniversary - the oldest Ironman race outside of the USA. Ironman Melbourne will be my first championships in the Asia-Pacific. My last Ironman championships was in October 2013 (Kona), and the Ironman 70.3 World's in 2008 and 2009. A special lottery for participants will be the icing on the cake, and I would love another serious shot at the World's in Kona. I read that David Beckham might be racing as the next celebrity.

The Boston Marathon - 118th edition - will be my first, having qualified on my second BQ submission. I had to erase 13 minutes off my last BQ/PB to ensure a better chance this year. Having never been to Boston - an expensive city - I am excited about my itinerary and the race. My race goal is to complete comfortably on the hilly course, and a 3:50 finish would be rewarding (30 minutes off my best timing from a flat course last July). I have exactly one month to get into marathon shape, after having done two marathons before that. I will focus on recovery and speed word instead of mileage and endurance.

Two more days before I fly off to Taupo. I am excited about earning a better performance. Digits crossed!

1 comment:

Kevin Siah said...

All the best Enrico! Wishing you a great start to the many big races to come!