Friday, November 25, 2011

Visualising Run Styles

12-time Ironman Clifford Lee has told me, frequently, that I am recognizable during a race by my running style. I tend to adopt the puffed-up chest posture of Chris ‘Macca’ McCormack. Interestingly, that is my mental picture of my running style during training and races. Focusing on my running gait directs my attention to useful things instead of physical discomfort.

This evening, I opted to assume the running style of Ironman world champion, Mirinda ‘Rinny’ Carfrae. She has wide strides during a marathoner, which suggests very strong legs. My friend, Wilson Low (a 70.3 & Ironman world’s finisher, and adventure racer) also runs like that, with gazelle-like strides.

Here is a video analysis of Rinny during the Rev3 Half race in 2009. This is her mechanics of her run at Eagleman 2011.'

During last night’s run, I had an epiphany. I thought I would like to compete in next year’s 70.3 Ironman World Championships. The last time I competed in this series were in 2008 and 2009. I scored my PB in 2008, and then focused my efforts on the full Ironman triathlon. I would enjoy racing in the new competition venue of Las Vegas in 2012, as the previous venue was in Clearwater, Florida.

My ‘tapering run’ was a useful one; actually I am not tapering as I am in the midst of my 12-week Ironman training. It was just after a downpour, with occasional flashes of lightning in the sky. I think I am regaining my marathon mojo, so next weekend’s marathon should be an interesting one. Already, I have arranged for an unofficial 3:20 pacer (Melvin How, who has done 3:19 in 2008) as the official pacers end at 3:45. I will use my watch as a guide, although I will run by ‘feel’, intuition, RPE and breathing. As Adam ‘One-Armed Runner’ would say, ‘Toes crossed!’

No comments: