Monday, April 5, 2010

Scratching The Surface of A Script

It is the fifth day of Script Frenzy, and admittedly, I haven't started writing. I have been making chicken-feet scratches on the sandy canvas of my mind and notebook.

Remember, I mentioned that I have a non-digital notebook where I write down ideas, quotations, brainwaves, designs, and even smart-ass remarks.

Writing a script for television, film or stage requires a few key elements. To hold you with me a little longer, these components of scripting are related to leadership:

1) Characters (Who is the protagonist, antagonists, and supporting cast)
2) Plot (What is the story line about?)
3) Staging (Location, interior decoration, and Feng Shui)
4) Setting (Time and place)
5) Create conflict, then resolve the conflict

Leadership involves leading people; your followers take your lead, sometimes. When issues arise, the People Manager in you must reconcile the dilemma you face as a Business Manager as well as the Technical/Functional Manager.

Shakespeare wrote: 'All the world's a stage, and the people are actors...' Thus, leading people involves us directing the movie of our life, the way it should pan out when we manage the five variables I outlined. Be comprehensive and review your team profile: identify your leaders, team-players, experts, each individual's strengths and weaknesses, and instances of conflict. Stage a meeting when you identify opportunities to resolve conflict. Set up an environment of mutual trust and respect. Plot lines of direct and indirect communication so that it clears the air of suspicion and distrust. Direct your team from then on!

I'm ready for my close-up now, Mr Director!

No comments: