Tuesday, April 6, 2010

Constructing a Core of Steel

I have been working out, actually, working in. I have been working on enhancing my core stability, that internal girdle that holds my body up for the endurance sports that I do regularly.

I have attended formal workshops on developing core stability; I learnt how to use the Australian-developed Medi-Ball and wobble-board. I never did a single class of Pilates or yoga, as I found the equipment for the former too medieval (as in the Pulp Fiction sense), and the latter too deep and prolonged (breathing) for me. The core stability muscles include the transverse abdominus (TVA) and quadratus lumborum (QL). These two major sets of muscles keep our pelvic girdle stable and protect our spine and joints in our body.

It was at my personalized bike-fitting session with David Greenfield of Elite Bicycles in Singapore last week, that I appreciated the relevance of core stability and rehabilitative exercises. I learnt of my muscle imbalances – my strongest and weakest muscles – and how I can prevent injuries and improve on my flexibility, strength and power. Most of all, my back and its supportive muscles felt light and free after my fitting session. My four-hour session with the ex-professional triathlete/CEO of Elite Bicycles yielded many insights for me. I realized I have a larger foot, a shorter leg (after my recent bike accident, I presume) and poor lower-back mobility. Realistically, I have a long way to go towards healing my body but I now have specific and clear directions on how to do it, and it would surely benefit me in my sports.

Plus, my bike-shoe sole inserts feel comfortable. Just like standing on one leg with my eyes close is opening my body to new proprioception. It reminds of my competitive bodybuilding days (really!), where I had to flex different muscles and hold the seven, static, compulsory poses.

I now shift my mindset about Pilates and yoga, and eat humble pie, and do my static exercises.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

A strong Trunk is the key to a healthy breath for life, sport, and life extensions