Sunday, April 18, 2010

Amusing Weekend Musings and Amusement

I could not resist the use of alliteration: as quaint or quirky it may read. Nevertheless I have been logging in many silent minutes on Tom Robbin’s book of short essays Wild Ducks Flying Backwards; he complements the other two I am snacking on: ‘Norman Mailer’s The Spooky Art, and Stephen King On Writing. Inspiration, aspiration and perspiration are part of the investment in both art and business. And, business is both science and art.

I was watching James Sun (finalist on reality television series, The Apprentice) host a program on Channel News Asia called Sun Tze War on Business (9.30pm, Tuesday). In a nutshell, the battlefield of business involves the use of leadership, strategies/methods, terrain/marketplace, strengths/leverage points, and use of intelligence/information. That is why businesses need to define their business by their brand, branding, product and services, customized service experiences, sales management, and use of social media communication.

Here is a good article on the use of Social Media Tools 2.0, mainly the application of blogging in a corporate setting.

I wish Nigel Chua all the best in his next Ironman triathlon quest: Ironman Utah. He is a very good distance runner and triathlete. Do not let his grey hair fool you - it is his disguise! He will be the first of two Singaporeans to participate in this inaugural race.
The triathlete from the left is, probably, going to race in Utah. He has completed nine Ironman races; he also assisted last year as support crew for the first two Singaporeans to ever compete in Norseman. Who is he?
The deed is done! I signed up for the Singapore Passion Run 2010, a week before my inaugural 84km adidas Sundown Ultramarathon. I hope that my body holds up, as I have been taking it easier after my mild bout of flu two weeks ago. I am looking forward to running hard on my new K-Swiss running shoes; its inner supports should help correct my low heel arch. Here is a shot of my condition two weeks after Ironman New Zealand. I was manning an 'illegal' water-station, of which I had loads of fun encouraging the Singapore 70.3 participants on - including the brilliant Craig Alexander (reigning 2-time Ironman triathlon world champion). Photographs courtesy of Triathlon Family Singapore friends: Julius, Craig and Yong Feng.

No comments: