Thursday, April 29, 2010

Radiant Reflections of a Rueful Runner

Tonight, I ran about 14km with Charles, one of my three major influences in triathlons. We knew each other at a gym when I was, then, a budding amateur bodybuilder. Yes, I was a muscle-head – not terribly proud of it – because I accepted the challenge of a sport that fascinated me since my teens. From 1990-1993, I stood on the rostrum on all four occasions (qualified for the alternate national team), but never won. I quit immediately after because I realized that a significant number of competitive amateurs unfairly sought and used pharmaceutical assistance.

Charles got me to sign up with Triathlon Family Singapore Forum, an online forum of about 3,125 subscribers. That was in 2004, and the rest is my triathlon history. Looking back, it has been a slow yet furious journey alongside my extended family of like-minded athletes.

We ran a short distance, tonight, as we wanted to test our legs after last weekend’s long run. As we ran a manageable pace, we chatted about stuff in general, and general stuff. I, personally, appreciate how my mind comes alive and alert when I run casually (which is moderate on Chrissy Wellington’s 3-gear approach to training intensity: moderate, medium and mad). It must be all that oxygen-infused, deep, breathing that engages my usually untidy mind. I also badly needed a psychological prod in the right direction for my latest script (hint: it is about endurance athletes).

Murakami Haruki wrote a book What I Talk About When I Talk About Running’ by Vintage International. He is a famous Japanese author who is also a serious runner and triathlete. A former jazz-bar owner turned author after an epiphany during a baseball game, Haruki switched keyboards for a career as a novelist. We will review his book shortly.

My main question I pondered upon today was: What do I blog about when I blog about leadership? I constantly think up ways to share, engage, and educate my readers; I appreciate your time and support. My dear readers: What have you reflected upon today? What did you learn about yourself? 


2 comments:

Ryan Stanley said...

I love how you mention that 'your mind comes alive' while you're running casually. I've found that by choosing to focus on affirmations or specific goals, and the realization thereof while I'm running, that I feel more in tune with my higher self and often am able to bring about the accomplishment of these goals at a faster rate because of it. Have you had any similar thoughts or scenarios?

Thanks,

RMS

Ryan Stanley
Director of Strategic Alliances
The Institute for Professional Excellence in Coaching (iPEC)
www.ipeccoaching.com
www.facebook.com/ipeccoaching

Enrico Varella said...

Thanks, Ryan for your comment.

I agree with you on the use of mental strategies like affirmations and goals. I have enjoyed such applications and experimentations. The challenge arises when you hit longer distances (above 24km) and you are low on nutritional aids. Fatigue shifts my reflection gears into a mixture of survival mode and engaging values like perseverance, patience, determination and persistence.

I am unfortunate to not experience, often, the physical euphoria, i.e. endorphin high, from running. However, i do experience the deep emotional satisfaction of achievement and accomplishment.

Which endurance sports do you engage in, Ryan? Keep running and reflecting.

Cheers.